Exposure to dating/sexual violence and substance abuse among black, hispanic, and white adolescent females
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
The purpose this study was to examine the relationship between dating/sexual violence (DSV) and substance abuse among Black, Hispanic, and White female adolescents using a secondary data analysis of the 2009 National Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS). The study also examined whether differences in substance abuse by race/ethnicity are exacerbated by exposure to DSV. Substance abuse was significantly associated with race/ethnicity and exposure to DSV. The rate of illegal drug use was significantly higher among Hispanic adolescents, while the rates of alcohol use and smoking were higher among White adolescents. Adolescents who reported exposure to DSV were more likely to use illegal drugs, alcohol, or smoke with compared to those with no exposure. Black adolescents had 19% greater odds than Whites and 7% lower odds than Hispanics of using illegal drugs. Hispanic adolescents had 28% greater odds than Whites of using illegal drugs. The odds of alcohol use among Black adolescents were 39% lower than the odds for Whites, and 33% lower than the odds for Hispanics; Hispanic adolescents had 9% lower odds than Whites. The odds of smoking among Black adolescents were 93% lower than the odds for Whites and 86% lower than the odds for Hispanics. Hispanic adolescents had 50% lower odds than Whites to smoke. DSV victimization encompasses a number of health risk behaviors, including substance abuse, which often occur in clusters and may cause negative outcomes for those affected. Prevention programs must be culturally sensitive, supportive, and designed to address the risk factors associated with DSV.
Planning of health education strategies, interventions, and programs
Social and behavioral sciences
Describe the difference between dating/sexual violence and substance use among Black, Hispanic, and White female adolescents
Discuss the differences in substance abuse among Black, Hispanic, and White female adolescents and whether this is exacerbated by dating/sexual violence
Keyword(s): Youth Violence, Substance Abuse
Presenting author's disclosure statement:
Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: I have been involved in the development of violence prevention initiatives in Essex County, New Jersey and currently am the head of the Violence Prevention Lab at the UMDNJ-School of Public Health Newark campus.
Any relevant financial relationships? No
I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines,
and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed
in my presentation.